A sincere and simple devotion to Christ
In 2 Corinthians 11:3, Paul warns against being distracted from a "sincere and simple devotion to Christ." This devotion is our primary, amazing, and beautiful purpose! While there are many, many other things we can do and should do--it's from this devotion that true worship flows and how we walk with the Holy Spirit into the good works that God has prepared beforehand.
Our theme of CROSS|FIT this year is all about doing some spiritual stretching (and even cardio work!) as we dig into God's Word--particularly Acts 2--and take an in depth look at devotion. Granted, it's also a serious play on words for those who know about cross-training and the CrossFit physical fitness rage. But the name suits the calling because being CROSS|FIT is an integral part of God's plan and purpose for the world and for His sons and daughters. Consider the definition of "fit":
Definition of “fit” /fit/
- of a suitable quality, standard, or type to meet the required purpose
- in good health, especially because of regular physical exercise or spiritual discipline
- be of the right shape and size for
- fix or put (something) into place
- the way in which something, especially a garment or component, fits around or into something
What are some applications of “fit” that describe New Creations in Christ Jesus?
Here's a few to reflect on...
fit AS (adjective)
- Christ-Followers… growing in our personal knowledge of Christ’s worthiness and God’s Word; knowing that we were created and saved to worship (adore/serve) Him with ALL our being; using our spiritual gifts for His glory
- Earth-Dwellers… remembering our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit; that we are to be good stewards of all that we have been given charge of
fitted WITH (verb)
- The Holy Spirit… so that we might be a sweet aroma to God, spread everywhere, among those who are being saved and those who are perishing
- Spiritual gifts… allowing us to serve the Body of Christ; that we are His workmanship (His hands/feet)--bearing each other’s burdens and completing the tasks God has planned beforehand
fit INTO (noun)
- God’s Plan… His purpose for the World
- God’s Kingdom… His purpose for the Church and furthering the Kingdom where His Will is done
- God’s Hand… His purpose for our lives, our confidence and security in Him
Examples of CROSS|FIT-ness in Scripture
When you have some time, check out these examples of fitness in the Bible. (There's a lot more than these!) And then come join us in our journey as we discuss, examine, and refine our concept of "fit" in light of God's plan and purpose for us and the world.
- Ephesians 4:15, 16 (Unity in the Body of Christ)
- 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (Run your race to Win)
- Acts 2:42 – 47 (The Fellowship of Believers)
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. - Ephesians 2:10
Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love. Ephesians 4:15-16
But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry. For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. From now on the crown of righteousness is laid up for me, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but to all who crave His appearing. - 2 Timothy 4:5-8